Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and Endometriosis are common conditions among women post-puberty, and they can sometimes continue till the mid-40s. Almost 10% to 15% of women globally have Endometriosis, while PCOS incidence is as high as 20% worldwide.The modern medical understanding of these diseases has improved significantly, helping to identify factors aggravating and relieving the conditions. Depending on the severity, doctors advise various medications, therapies, and surgical procedures to treat PCOS and Endometriosis. Take the example of CBD or cannabinoids. CBD oil can relieve chronic pain and persistent discomfort related to PCOS and Endometriosis.
What is PCOS?
It is a gynaecological condition in which ovaries produce an abnormally large amount of male hormone androgen. PCOS results in tiny sacs or cysts filled with fluid forming inside ovaries. Women suffering from PCOS can experience irregular and extended menstrual flow, difficulties releasing eggs etc. Our understanding of the exact reasons behind PCOS development are still evolving, but the significant factors are genetics, food habits, lifestyle, and exposure to specific pollutants.Common symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome includes –
- Irregular menstrual period
- Excessive body and facial hair
- Weight gain around the midriff
- Excessive sebum secretion resulting in oily skin
- Thinning of hair and men-like baldness
Usually, PCOS does not result in pain. The existence of pain indicates Endometriosis or other conditions.
What is Endometriosis?
It is a gynaecological condition where uterus lining tissues grow outside the uterus like ovaries, fallopian tubes, and pelvic lining. Usually, when growing inside the uterus, these tissues thicken and break down and finally exit through bleeding during a regular menstrual cycle. However, when growing outside the uterus, the tissue cannot escape and gets trapped, causing adhesions and scars. It causes pain that increases in severity.Common symptoms of Endometriosis –
- Excessive menstrual bleeding
- Pain during periods
- Painful intercourses
- Low in energy, fatigue
- Digestion problem
- Irritations and irregularities in bowel movement and urination
Use of cannabinoids in treating PCOS, Endometriosis
Being an endocrinal or hormonal disorder, the pathogenesis of PCOS has been identified recently; it is linked to the dysfunction of the endocannabinoid system (ECS). ECS is the cell-signalling system in the human body. The level of neurotransmitters like 2-AG and AEA increases in peripheral blood cells of women with PCOS. Cannabinoids in the hemp like CBD have shown satisfactory results in the symptomatic treatment of PCOS, Endometriosis and related conditions.
- Correcting insulin imbalance and weight gain – There is a strong correlation between insulin imbalance in blood and PCOS condition. CBD decreases resistance to insulin and helps get rid of excess fat, lose weight and manage body weight.
- Managing anxiety, stress-related to PCOS – Polycystic ovary syndrome results in physical discomfort, anxiety and depression. CBD oil helps overcome fear and stress by affecting the release of cortisol.
- Improve ECS functioning affecting the development of PCOS – CBD also influences the functioning of the endocannabinoid system and helps treat PCOS by augmenting the working of neurotransmitters.
- Relieving endometriosis pain – CBD oil does not cure Endometriosis or stop the growth of endometrial tissues outside the uterus. However, it helps relieve severe pain associated with the gynaecological condition. Endometriosis-related pain can be categorised into neuropathic, nociceptive, and inflammatory. Each of these types can be linked to the functioning of the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
- Reducing inflammation – Cannabidiol or CBD oil helps to reduce Endometriosis induced tissue inflammation.
As we speak, much scientific research is happening on innovative uses of CBD oil in treating gynaecological conditions like PCOS and Endometriosis.
The proper dosage of CBD oil for PCOS and Endometriosis patients
The correct CBD oil dosage for treating PCOS and Endometriosis conditions varies with patients’ age, severity, other health conditions, and ongoing medications. Consult with a medical practitioner before using CBD oil. Besides, it helps to avoid unnecessary hassles.